Happy New Year and welcome to 2018. The start of a New Year brings exciting opportunities, new beginnings and a fresh start to create and manifest the life of your dreams. It is also the time where resolutions are made as well as important decisions about how YOU want to live your life in the coming year. Do you know that over 40% of people have or will make a New Year’s Resolution? Do you also know that within 6 months 60% of people will give up on these goals? So what can you do to ensure that you beat the odds and stay in the 40% who continue to work hard towards your dreams this year?
Whether the resolution is Financial, Health, Bettering Relationships or Personal Growth the principles used to achieving these goals are the same.
NOW is the time to start making choices that are in absolute alignment with your goals and dreams.
What motivates you
To make the most of these resolutions it helps to know whether you are intrinsically or extrinsically motivated. If your motivation is extrinsic you are probably someone who enjoys exercising in a more social environment, walking with friends, playing team sports or doing group activities. If your motivation is intrinsic then you probably prefer to go to the gym alone, listen to a good playlist on your phone because you enjoy the way that the gym makes you feel.
Knowing what motivates you will support you to be more strategic with the way you set your goals. There is no use writing on your goal card that you will go running 5 times a week on your own, if you are extrinsically motivated, perhaps a better goal would be to do a boot camp, team sport or to go for a jog with a buddy.
Focus on actions rather than results
It’s simple to decide what changes you want to make in your life; it is more challenging to actually take the action towards making those changes. Making statements like “I want to lose weight” or “I want to increase my cash flow this year” do not give you any direction on what action to take to achieve those goals. So remember your S.M.A.R.T.I.E.S – Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Tangible, Emotional and Successful. Breaking down your long-term resolutions into smaller more manageable short- term goals is vital for creating success.
One of our coaches puts her clients (and sometimes our team at the office) through a very powerful visualisation technique for achieving goals. During this exercise you put yourself into the future, on the very day that you have reached your goal and you imagine what it looks like, feels like and sounds like to be achieving that goal. Who are you with, where are you, and what are you doing in that very moment? It is almost like creating your very own movie and you are the star, the scriptwriter and director of the show. You can watch this motion picture over and over again in your mind until you have acclimatised yourself to SUCCESS!
Have a Support Network
Accountability is one of the best ways to ensure that you stick to your resolutions. Remember how many fantastic tools are at your disposal within the OneLife Community. Send in your 1-31 card each month so that we can support you with your goals, send your questions into mentoring and utilise your Dream Team to keep you accountable. A great idea would be to start a group message where you each share your intentions for the New Year and within that group you can share your successes, challenges, learnings and offer each other support.
We would love to know what your New Year’s Resolutions are and what your plan is to achieve these goals in 2018?
Written by Roy McDonald
At OneLife we are a community of likeminded individuals, a family committed to empowering one another to be all that we can be. We honour and celebrate one another’s unique gifts and talents and all undertake the OneLife Mission